Monday, September 19, 2011

"The Middle Moments"

I just recently read this, which is a GREAT read by Emily Freeman, one of my all-time favorite authors/speakers...you should all read it, or at least read on through my synopsis of it.
It really hit home with me, as we really are in such a "middle moment" in our lives right now. 
She recounts the story of Joshua (chapter 3) in crossing the river Jordan. The three pieces of advice that she took from this story are: 
1-“Sanctify yourselves: for tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among you” (Joshua 3:5). The first lesson for the middle moments of our lives is to believe in a God who will do wonders in our behalf.
2- “This day will I begin to magnify thee . . . I will be with thee” (Joshua 3:7). One thing I have noticed about the journeys recorded in the scriptures is that each has two common themes ––the Lord strengthens, or magnifies, the people to be equal to the task, and He always, always, travels with them.  
3-Joshua told the people that if they took note of what happened they would know that a living God was aware of them, and that He would deliver them “without fail” (Joshua 3:10).

It reminded me of a quote that I LOVE, and continually think about by Boyd K. Packer: 
"Somewhere in your quest for spiritual knowledge, there is that ‘leap of faith,’ as the philosophers call it. It is the moment when you have gone to the edge of the light and stepped into the darkness to discover that the way is lighted ahead for just a footstep or two. ‘The spirit of man, ‘ as the scripture says, indeed ‘is the candle of the Lord."

This is SO true! So many times in my life, I just want the answer....I don't want to work at it, or think about it...I want it to come easily. 
But sometimes we need to take a few steps into the darkness, before we know what our path really is. And most of the time, it is what we experience that strengthens our testimony...as she says:
"The scriptures are clear––it is not the miracle or the destination that becomes the testimony. Rather, it is within the moments that precede the miracle that a lasting relationship with the Savior is formed."

She mentions that she started writing down a lot of what is going on, and documenting the "middle" of their journeyings:  "I am learning that these moments will become the most significant part of our journey. I am trying to write down the moments when we witness the wonders of the Lord around us, the tender mercies, the everyday miracles."
"I am learning to understand that maybe the miracle is not the destination after all.
Instead, it is the journey."

2 comments:

  1. it is within the moments that precede the miracle that a lasting relationship with the Savior is formed.
    LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    is taht oart Emily Freeman or Pres Packer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was from Emily Freeman:) It's good, eh? I love it.

    ReplyDelete